Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Flickering Lights

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:47:33 +0000, nestork
wrote:

2. on your lights, turn the lights off, take the bulbs and/or tubes out,
and clean the contacts on both the bulbs and tubes and inside the
sockets. You can use electrical contact cleaner for this.

Walking by a lamp one day I heard a 'sizzling sound. Removed the bulb
and found what seemed to have been arching at the contacts in the
socket. Shined the end of the bulb and the brass contact at the bottom
with a bit of sand paper. With a pic I lifted the brass contact a tad.

Replaced cleaned the bulb, which was better seated in the socket.

Would a dying switch in a lamp cause intermittent problems, anybody?