Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default High temperature thread sealant

Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:03:00 -0800, "anorton"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
Anything better than PTFE/Teflon for high temperatures?

Just go dry or what? High temperature compressor output line... the
hose is bellows with braid over it.

There are a lot of options for very high temperature thread sealants. Search
on this term in Mcmaster for example.

However, teflon is supposed to go up to 500 deg. F. I am not an expert in
air compressors, but I would think if the output air is that hot, something
else might be getting damaged.

I simply use a teflon based thread sealer paste readily available at
any plumbing shop for ALL air connections, including those on the head
end. I hate! Hate! finding tape bits blocking solenoids and valves
downstream in CNC cabinets.

Gunner

You would LOVE the crap one company uses on fire vehicles. It is some
type of epoxy sealant.
Does a GREAT job sealing and locking the connections together. BUT if
any extra gets loose in the system....

Nothing like stepping on the brakes with an air brake system and having
NOTHING because of a blockage.
BTDT , I ripped apart the entire system and resealed all of it. Also
installed a few filter screens in the lines.

--
Steve W.