Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Reaction to walnut and new TV-Stand - Mitigate Sag

On 11/20/2012 11:46 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/20/2012 9:59 AM, Bill wrote:
On 11/20/2012 7:31 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/19/2012 6:52 PM, Bill wrote:
I will read the whole article before the evening is over. Though, I'm
not sure that my situation is like the one in the article because I'm
using plywood. No one makes dovetail or M&T joints in plywood, right?

Notice that half the links I included deal with a plywood cabinet.

I will. Thank you. I'm still reading the article from FWW! : )

You can certainly dovetail some plywood's, and particularly if the parts
dovetailed don't show or are covered with veneer, they don't have to be
pretty/master craftsman grade dovetails.

Dowels and floating tenons, and dadoes and rabbets glued and further
reinforced with dowels and floating tenons (or glued and screwed), can
take the place of M&T joints (and often dovetails) in plywood in many
situations, and provide the necessary strength/stiffness to use the
method described in the article.

With exposed-dowel joinery on veneered plywood, do you take down the
dowel with a sharp chisel?

At least the way the FWW article started, the emphasis concerned natural
changes in the wood due to it's environment. I understand we want a
"strong box" lying on it's side. I'll keep reading! : )

I might need a "floating tenon" if I attached my plywood box to a
natural wood base frame, huh? I like to try to let you know that it's
not all going over my head! : )

Cheers,
Bill