Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Flickering Lights

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:56:38 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I've got a flickering light problem to track down.

The circuit has a few living room outlets on it with 2 incandescent
lamps plugged in and a couple of 4' florescent shop-light style
fixtures in the basement. Three times in the past week or so, all 4 of
these fixtures started flickering for few minutes and then stopped.

I plan to remove the breaker box cover and check the connections at
the breaker and neutral bus, but I'm looking for other suggestions in
case everything in the box is tight.

That is where I would start. If it is just one circuit, remove the
wire and take a look at it. You may even see some black spots if it
is loose. Clean and replace.

Could a bad florescent bulb or fixture cause all four lamps to
flicker?

Doubtful, but strange things sometimes do happen.

How about a bad breaker?

Possible

Any other thoughts?

I wish it wasn't so intermittent so that I could track it down easier.
A couple of days between each episode is a real pain.

I had a similar situation. One circuit would go out every few weeks,
sometimes a flicker, other times just out. . Resetting the breaker
seemed to fix it so I was going to replace the breaker. Turns out to
be a loose connection and the breaker is OK.

Resetting the breaker was just enough of a movement to make a good
contact again.