Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default THe Miracle Cleaner

On Nov 19, 12:54*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Since there was a recent thread about kerosene, et al, lamps,
this popped up on another list and on topic.

Enjoy.

Lew
No, this is not spam, its boat related. For Halloween, I took an
oil lantern off my boat to illuminate one of the tables of goodies
by a driveway bonfire we have hosted the last couple of years.

I cranked the wick out to get the brightest flame possible, and at the
end of the night the inside of the lens was completely coated in soot.

Today I got around to cleaning it before taking it back to the boat.

I went through an array of typical glass cleaners and none took off
the most stubborn soot.

Then I remembered the miracle cleaner for the residue left by
adhesive labels: PEANUT BUTTER.

Sure enough, peanut butter cleans off that suborn soot off of a lamp
lens,
as well has the soot impregnated in my hands from the cleaning
operations
(and now my hands are silky smooth).

Peanut Butter, the miracle cleaner.

Vegetable oil is a good substitute for hand cleaner.
Scrub in until the paint, grease, whatever, is loosened,
then finish with soap and water.