Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Flickering Lights

On Nov 19, 3:32*pm, Bob wrote:
On 11/19/2012 11:56, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've got a flickering light problem to track down.

The circuit has a few living room outlets on it with 2 incandescent
lamps plugged in and a couple of 4' florescent shop-light style
fixtures in the basement. Three times in the past week or so, all 4 of
these fixtures started flickering for few minutes and then stopped.

I plan to remove the breaker box cover and check the connections at
the breaker and neutral bus, but I'm looking for other suggestions in
case everything in the box is tight.

Check each device in the circuit for loose connections. *Replace
anything with backstab connections (where the wire is just stabbed into
a slot) with devices with screw terminals and ensure that connections
are tight.

There is not a backstab receptacle or switch anywhere in my house.

When it happens again, I plan to unplug each fixture one at a time to
see what happens. Unfortunately it doesn't happen for a long enough
time during each occurrence for me to have time to do much unplugging,
powering off, etc. The fixtures flicker for about 15 seconds, barely
enough time for me to get out of the recliner.

I may swap some lamps around from different circuits to see if I can
"move" the problem and narrow it down to a particular device. For the
basement florescents, that's going to mean extension cords and the
loss of the use of the switches. It's just a PITA since it could be
days before it happens again.