Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default CFL vs shop FL tube light

ps56k wrote:

I had to replace the burned out FL long straight tube in my shop light,
and noticed the marking indicated "40 watt".

I was thinking - our twist CFLs that replaced the our 60 watt bulbs
are only running about 14 real watts.

SO - are the traditional long straight tube FL shop lights actually using 40
watts,
or is that just and equiv and the real watt usage is much less, just like
the CFL ?

If not - then that means the long tube FL are as in-efficient as a normal
bulb.
--
No Good Deed -

They use 40W, they will be producing the light equivalent to ~150W of
incandescent lamps. Unfortunately, few people these days seem able to
understand what efficiency really means, or calculate the MPG their car
gets