Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D. Danny D. is offline

Default Is a single torsion spring garage door supposed to have acenter bearing?

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 00:16:51 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

QUESTION:
Do you know why Dan suggests adding the extra 1/4 inch?
Here are Dan's instructions:
http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instru...eplacement.php
Notice step #72 (actually #70 to #73).

I just realized I have about an extra inch of leeway by pushing the
hollow rod left or right BEFORE I mount the spring.

However, I'm a bit confused which way (left or right) would be
best to push the rod by that inch before I put the spring on.

It's new to me that the rod moves back and forth side to side,
and I'm not sure why we move the spring left after it grows,
so it's kinda confusing to me which way will put the least
side-to-side stress on the bracket.