Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Sony Smartphone for the dumb

On 18/11/2012 16:15, Bill wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
Check the account is setup on the phone. Touch the menu soft button
(bottom left), and select Settings.

Done
Then Accounts & Sync.

Done
Check you google account is shown in the manage accounts section.

The manage accounts is a narrow bar that doesn't respond when I touch it.

This is where I get stuck. I then go to Add Account, and see Google on
the list. Select this and have to enter username and password and it
then says it can't connect with a reliable data connection to the Google
server.

It sounds like you have alink reliability problem of some sort.

See below - I have tried this with wifi off, so using the 3G connection,
with the same result.
I've tried this with either the default googlmail that it puts in after
the @ after my username, and also when I type in gmail there.

However, I did switch off the wifi and checked that bluetooth was also
off, then tried to install the TuneIn app, presumably using 3G, and this
time it worked without ant fuss at all.

Then I tried a few stations in the southern part of the USA. Bad idea on
a Sunday morning if you are not looking to be saved. They come in OK,
but for a random short time only. After this either the app just seems
to crash or it shows a small message where the name of the station
should be saying "Stream is Stopped". To read this i have to find my
glasses and then my magnifying glass.

If I then poke around at various virtual buttons, I sometimes get a
message to say that the system has deduced that I am connected by wifi,
and that I should connect using 3G to access services.

It should be fine on WiFi...

This morning, for example, I got approx 4 minutes before the silence,
rebooted, then 16 seconds, rebooted, then 20 minutes, then said "Can't
connect to stream", but there is a Play arrow to press, then it fills
the buffer and starts again. After this it has now run for another 40
minutes, with just occasional short buffering breaks.

It sounds like for whatever reason you connection is actually dropping
packets or having other reliability problems.

Its possible that you have a genuine fault in either the phone or the
router.

I would be tempted to download a ping / tracert tool and check that you
are getting reliable throughput.

I have the "pro" version of that phone (i.e. with a slide out real
keyboard) and fine the WiFi etc is rock solid stable.

It is probably me, but I'm deeply unimpressed. It is a small phone, but
I regularly hit the wrong button, I keep having to reach for the

Yup small phones are nice for the pocket, but not so good for the eyes.
The real KB on mine makes it much more usable I find.

magnifying glass and the display keeps switching off in spite of having
reset the display time in "Settings". Holding it and rubbing its tummy
with my thumb seems to keep the display on.

Unless the app specifically turns the display off, then it should
default to the setting selected in the Settings-Didplay-Screen Timout
setting (the default is 30 secs)

Streaming radio works fine here through the laptops.

Out of curiosity, I just installed TuneIn. Seems to be doing its stuff
quite nicely here (which I am sure is little comfort, but at least
should tell you the phone can do it!)

(quite reasonable quality when you can find stations with higher bit
rates).

--
Cheers,

John.