Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] krw@att.bizzz is offline

Default Past Wiring Codes

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 05:58:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Monday, November 12, 2012 6:47:43 PM UTC-8, Bob wrote:
On 11/12/2012 01:29,
wrote:

This says that it was *after* 1951 that grounded outlets became code.

The 1962 NEC was the first to require all outlets to be grounded.

So why then aren't all plugs required to be 3-prong?

You're going to ground a plastic clock? (Yes, I know one "safety
inspector" who required it)

You've never heard of "double insulated"?

Unless you have a 3-prong plug, it doesn't really matter whether you have a grounded outlet or not.

You have *no* 3-prong plugs?

My 1957 rental came with wierd triple outlet with obviously no ground.

Outlets replaced somewhere along the line?

They are polorized, though.

So are modern two-pronged plugs and three-pronged outlets (without
using the ground pin).