Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Electric Chainsaw Recommendtions?

wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:44:10 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I'd be interested in any experience with various brands of
electric chainsaws. Probably going to buy one to use for
light to med cutting jobs around the house.

I have a 40 year old Stihl 031AV and it's giving me headaches.
Plus with the electric, for small jobs no need to screw around
getting the gas thing started. Looking for something to
supplement it, maybe $100 or so?

I have a Remington pole saw that detaches and is used like a regular
chain saw.
It is OK but no replacement for a real chain saw.

Pole mounted electric saws work best when used vertically. Once you get it
extended out and start working at an angle the weight becomes an issue.

I've borrowed a pole based saw to trim some branches from a second story
window. The branches extended over my roof and I wanted to clear them away.
Trust me, that saw gets awfully heavy when hanging out of the window
cutting branches at an angle. I would rest the saw on the branch, let the
weight do the cutting and then try and hang on tight while the weight tried
to send the saw to the ground. The flexibility of the fiberglass pole
didn't help as the pole flexed as the weight pulled it down.

It was an adventure but I got it done.

As others have mentioned, the electric saw is no match for gas saw. When I
need to do some pruning on branches that are easily accessible, I use my
reciprocating saw.