Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tektronix FG507

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:13:18 -0500, "Charles"
wrote:

Repair is not always the best option. Recycling and replacement is
sometimes better. Sad. Really liked the FG507.

You're willing to pay $400 for a replacement function generator, but
not $15 for a schematic to repair the one you currently own.

It's easy enough to calculate the relative cost of repair to replace.
My guess(tm) is that it would take me about 2 hrs and $20 in parts to
replace all the dip tantalum capacitors in the FG507. A little
Googling will show that old tantalums are a major problem in Tek
products. I value my spare time at $35/hr. That's $90 cost to repair
the FG507 without the risk of buying a manual from a questionable
source. Working blind does offer a challenge, but I suspect that's
not why you don't want to spend the $15. I would recommend a manual
as it's often difficult to read the markings and color codes on old
tantalums. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D