Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Is a single torsion spring garage door supposed to have a center bearing?

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 02:39:38 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:56:04 -0800, Oren wrote:

Another thought is that if you back the spring off some it
may fix the flexing problem on the bracket.

Hi Oren,
Thanks for the ideas.

The flexing bracket is a weird problem - which might have been
there all along - or - as you intimate - it may have been
exacerbated by the thicker longer heavier spring.

I'm gonna send some photos to Dan to ask what he'd do.
As you noted, I can de-tension the spring another quarter turn.
Or, I can simply squish the spring a quarter inch or so.

In fact, following instructions, I had moved the spring OUT
(to the left) about 1/4 inch initially AFTER it was wound
(as per instructions) - so maybe - just maybe - I moved it
out to the left too far.

I will try to squish that spring to see if 'that' minimizes
the bending of the poorly mounted bracket.

Note: I pounded with a hammer and do not see any wood below
the bracket. That's weird that they picked such a lousy spot.

Hope Dan can explain the flexing.

An option might be to remove the center bracket, cut the sheetrock
out neatly and mount a wood piece of 2x6 (?) to the wall (concrete
header) with epoxy or lags and then bolt into the wood.