Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Tektronix FG507

On 11/17/2012 4:13 PM, Charles wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message ...

I fired it up today and no joy. Took off all the covers/shields and tested
all the fuses and still no joy. Reseated all the connectors and ICs.

Finally, after repeated power on/off cycles it started to work.

Any ideas? I need this generator for an important project but can't rely on
it now. Any suggestions?

Lots of helpful replies here, but looking for alternatives, I found
this:
http://www.neobits.com/instek_sfg_21...FRRbnAodpnoAgQ

A function generator is a jack of all trades, master of none.
Choosing one is the art of minimizing the problems caused by the crappy
waveforms
in your specific application.
Without knowing which waveforms and functions are important to you and
what imperfections you
can tolerate, there's not much help anyone can provide.
The specs in large print on the datasheet usually don't tell the whole
story.
It's a lot like buying an automobile and expecting to actually get 40mpg.

No way that I am going to pay for a schematic/service manual (from a
questionable source) and pay for an adaptor to power the FG507 so I can
work on it when the link above promises so much more.

Repair is not always the best option. Recycling and replacement is
sometimes better. Sad. Really liked the FG507.

Thanks!

If you're gonna scrap it, send it to me.
I'll fix it and add it to my collection of Tektronix Relics.