Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D. Danny D. is offline

Default Is a single torsion spring garage door supposed to have acenter bearing?

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 15:25:29 -0800, Oren wrote:

Send the OPEN / CLOSE photos to Dan and ask if the spring you used is to
big / long for the door. The center bracket should not be flexing like
that. I do think the bracket will break in due time, in some fashion.
You added 10.5 inch of spring length and it may be to much torque.

It also worries me how much it the bracket is flexing.

Upon closer inspection, there is only a SINGLE BOLT holding that plate
against the wall!

Look at this picture (with the door closed):

Believe it or not, they have three BOLTS (not screws) holding the angle
iron in place - which means those three bolts holding the angle iron in
place were put in (from the outside) when the garage was built.

The weird thing is only ONE of those three bolts actually (also) holds
the bracket in place. So the bracket is free to move more than I think it
should be.

Guessing: It looks like they have some holes that are unused - probably
because they only went into sheetrock - with nothing below - which is why
it only has one bolt holding the bracket perhaps.

More data: I just screwed a long wood screw into two of the bracket holes
and they both had ONLY gypsum board behind them. So that's why they
didn't bolt the bracket with two bolts - but now I need to re-engineer
how that bracket is held in place.

Note: I can see why garage door companies don't want to upgrade springs
but this problem 'might' not even be due to the upgraded spring.