Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Is a single torsion spring garage door supposed to have a center bearing?

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 22:42:56 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:57:35 -0800, Oren wrote:

I looked at my doors. Wayne Dalton is a double door.

Thanks for taking the time to look & write. You're a saint.

Neither have a bearing in the center.
Instead, they both have a hard plastic bushing to
keep the shaft centered in the bracket mount.

Oh oh. I had called up Dan Musick today (800-383-9548) and I told him
there was no 'bearing' (but I didn't mention a 'bushing'). He said he's
seen 'more' problems from a middle bearing going askew than not having a
bearing at all - but now I realize I didn't clarify that I have neither a
bearing nor a bushing.

I think it matters because the 9 foot bar actually MOVES!

Yes. Apparently, from my observation anyway - the overdoor bar slides to
the right (standing in the center of the garage and looking at a single
right wound spring on the left side of center) about an inch as the door
goes up (and back to the left as the door goes down).

Here is Dan's torsion spring replacement DIY for a single spring single-
spring where he actually mentions the nylon bushing (not the bearing) in
step #15:
http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instru...eplacement.php

Is the sag caused by having everything disconnected
or did it sag before you started working on the springs?

Hmmm... I wish I had known enough to look before the spring broke!

Especially when you see these two pictures:

DOOR CLOSED:
DOOR OPEN:

Notice the 9 foot bar seems to be sliding an inch to the right when the
door opens (and the bracket is pulled left); and then the 9 foot long bar
is slid an inch back to the left (and the bracket centers itself).

I think, over time, this will break the bracket. No?

Do anyone see the same thing with your single-torsion spring door, right
hand wound, mounted to the left of center?

Send the OPEN / CLOSE photos to Dan and ask if the spring you used is
to big / long for the door. The center bracket should not be flexing
like that. I do think the bracket will break in due time, in some
fashion. You added 10.5 inch of spring length and it may be to much
torque.