Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default OT-Having a package shipped from US-UK

On 17/11/2012 21:56, charles wrote:
In article ,
Nick Odell wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 13:08:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:06:34 PM UTC, Jake wrote:
same size as a ream of paper, but 1/3rd the weight, certainly under
two kilos.

If a seller, it depends on what they are willing to charge.

However if you want the USPS surface & airmail etc rates go to:
www.usps.com and follow the pricing system for your size/weight.

The old days when customs turned a blind eye half the time to

imported freight are long gone, pretty much. The result is you have to
factor in a delay where Royal Mail send you a letter/card requesting
payment of customs etc & handling fee. This is not true for very low
value items, below a certain threshold. The handling fee can dwarf the
charge, take note.

Last time I looked, Customs had lowered the threshold from £18 to £15
before they start charging. If the item is chargeable then our Post
Office would charge a flat £8 fee for customs clearance etc plus duty
(if applicable) + VAT (if applicable)

As an illustration, I need to order a one-off guitar part for a
customer this weekend. The price is USD18 plus USD7 for postage. I
can't remember if the value for customs is goods + carriage or goods
only so the item is going to cost me either

It should only be the goods - you aren't importing the postage charge.

Any tax or duty is payable on the landed cost inclusive of carriage by
whatever method is used.

--
Regards Peter Crosland