Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gear Project

"BQ340" wrote in message
. com...

I had to cut a one-off steering gear for my tractor when the
original was no longer available.

I made a really simple fixture, it was basically an angle plate that
the gear blank mounted to and a dowel pin. I cut a tooth,
repositioned the blank so the dowel pin was locating the tooth, and
repeated.

MikeB

That's a very good idea for a sector gear but not for a full one, as
the spacing error accumulates and the tooth width between the first
and last cuts is unlikely to be acceptable.

Long ago master index plates were generated a similar way, by stepping
around the circle with dividers and attempting to adjust out the
closure error.

Cutting a steering sector:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...10360947850418
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...10370886636434