Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default WI FI Radio

In article , fred
scribeth thus
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:14:33 PM UTC, fred wrote:
SWMBO wants a battery operated radio that can pick up Radio 4 via the

internet
(we have a domestic wifi network.

What are her options ?

Thanks to all for the input.

FM and LW reception is too poor in this case hence the suggested WiFi radio.

She had an old battery powered Sony FM/MW/LW for yonks but it is rapidly
expiring and the newer version I have is hopeless at LW reception.

Wasn't aware of the power consumption problems with WiFi radio making battery
operation problematical.

TuneIn on her iPhone sounds like a good idea though she doesn't like buds or
cans and likes to carry the radio from room to room Perhaps a small speaker
might fit the bill. She has streaming radio in the kitchen and I suggested
extending this to the other rooms but no, wouldn't do at all. Must be a
portable

Ah well.

You could .. use an FM sender they are easily available, find an unused
frequency connect to either a fixed FM radio with a decent aerial loft
one perhaps or a wi-fi radio or PC or similar "tuned" to the desired
station then she can use a simple FM portable around the house listening
to her very own station...

Does work rather well...
--
Tony Sayer