Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gear Project

On Nov 16, 1:31*am, Searcher7 wrote:

So I'm curious as to what would be the absolute best material to make
these gears out of if the goal was that they last as long as possible,
as well as any tips in making them. (The original ones were some sort
of plastic and someone did make reproductions out of Delrin).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I would not look for the absolute best material for wear resistance.
Anything that is real wear resistant will be a pain to machine.
Better to make ten sets of gears out of something that is easy to
machine than one set out of a material that has to be ground because
it is very hard.

Dan