Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Series resistor.

"klem kedidelhopper"

I think I know this but I'd like to be sure. I need to affix a small
neon indicator on to a 240V line. Would 80K be an appropriate resistor
to use?

** The value of 80k is fine, but needs to be rated at 1 watt to have a long
life.

The usual values found inside 240V neon bezels and illuminated switches is
150k to 220 k ohms - chosen mainly because the resistor needs to be of
small physical size it and this dictates one of 0.5 or 0.25 watt rating.

The voltage across the resistor is about 200V so 150k dissipates 0.27 watts.

..... Phil