Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workbench top

"Bill Leonhardt" wrote:

I picked up (dumpster diving) a commercial work bench top. It is
stamped "Hallowell Shop Top" It looks (end view) like several wood
strips glued up with the top and bottom surface coverd with a
particle
board covering. If I go to the company website

http://www.hallowell-list.com/workbench-adjustable.php

they describe the top as "Layered highdensity particleboard offers
superior screw holding characteristics. The top and bottom layers
are
sealed to resist conventional spills. The nonconductive, splinter-
proof top is 30 % harder than maple."

Based on your description above, sounds like you have a laminated top
rather than one described above.

Cosmetically, the top I got looks terrible, however it is very flat,
heavy with no serious gouges. It measures 72" x 30" x about 2" and,
as I said, is heavy. I will probably reduce the width to 27" and
hope
that this is solid through and through and not a torsion box.

So, here's my question. I want to cover the top and (if needed) the
bottom with a hardwood to make an attractive work surface. One that
can re-flatten and renew as needed. My first impulse is to get some
maple flooring, however I am worried about wood movement. If I glue
the flooring to the top, it may break free. I could fasten one edge
and let the other one float, but I'm concerned that if I put dog
holes
through the top and benchtop underneath, the top hole may become
offset from the substrate hole. Of course, I could be over-thinking
this whole issue.

I'd repair the top by filling any gouges with epoxy fairing putty,
then
when cured sand flat.

Cut a piece of 1/4" hardboard the size of the top and fit to the top.

Add retaining fiddles around the edges to contain hardboard in place
from some 1by2 strips.

Beat the hell out of the hardboard making things and when it gets so
ugly you can't stand looking at it, pick it up, thow it away,
then replace with the next piece of hardboard.

Have fun.

Lew