Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Removing a radiator: good idea?

When growing up in the Chicago area, my parents house, built in the 30s,
had radiators in the bedrooms. They removed them and didn't use
anything as a replacement. I guess that's why we usually slept with the
door open. I never had a problem with being too cold growing up in the
50s and 60s. The Hydro-thing might not be enough depending on wall and
storm window insulation properties and if the door is open or closed.
You might try shutting off the valve for a while and see what it's like.

On 11/15/2012 12:05 AM, wrote:
Hi,

In my bedroom I have a conventional hot-water cast iron radiator. I like the heat it provides, but I don't like so many other things about it: it occupies space under a window, my roomba gets stuck underneath it, it's not particularly beautiful, it collects a lot of dust.

I'm currently in the process of designing bedroom cabinets and have an opportunity to equip them with Hydrotherm radiators (2 at 8400 BUT each). We have one in the bathroom and love it. So the plan is to remove the cast iron radiator and replace it with two of these.

However, I am hesitating because it seems like a radical change. Any disadvantages to what I'm planning that I may be missing?

Thank you!

Sam