Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Sony CDP-C335 carousel doesn't align with clamping assembly.

wrote:
The cable I described developes cracks with age. This causes
intermittant connections withint hte cable. I have repaired a number
of these units, some of which had the problem you described. Some of
these also were "fixed" by replacing the cable. The cable is by no
means the only cause of hte problem you describe. The photo
trnasistors can be bad, the digital transistors (DTC) that "digitize"
the transition can be faulty as well. The bottom line here is that
there are many potential causes of the problem. Experience will
provide you with clues (as I and others posted here).

A cam gear off by 1 tooth can cause this problem as well. Obtain the
service manual which contains the alignment marks to verify proper
alignment of the tray as well.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I'll recheck the timing again. Though I don't understand what the timing of
the cam that closes and opens the drawer and raises and lowers the play
mechanism has to do with the positioning of the carousel. I've worked on
enough of these carousel players to know that when the timing is off by one
tooth in one direction, the drawer closes all the way while the cam is still
continuing to try and push it even further. As a result, the cam gets jammed
and that's the end of that loading cycle. If it's off by one tooth in the
other direction, the clamping assembly will bite down on the disk before
it's pushed all the way to the back of the mechanism. Neither of these
faults has anything to do with the rotation of the carousel as far as I can
tell.
Also, I'll try and find a way to put a scope probe on the photo transistors
and see if there's a clean signal coming off of there.

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA