Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Keeping door latches from freezing

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:42:24 -0600, wrote:

Have you ever found some sort of spray or grease that will keep stuff
from freezing? We got rain yesterday, and a deep freeze right
afterwards. Last night both push button door handles on my F-150 truck
were frozen. The push botton door latch on the house storm door and a
slide bolt on my toolshed door was also frozen.

Anyhow, have any of you ever found anything that will keep stuff like
that from freezing? I was wondering about silicone spray? Maybe
vaseline on the slide bolt, but that wont work on the truck? Any other
ideas?

No solution for you, but thought you'd like to know. My '50
Oldsmobile came with rubber covers for the keyholes in the door
handles. Custom-fit, with short rubber straps that went around the
open part of the handle, and had snaps to hold that end on. They
were still in good condition in 1966 when I got the car. Although I
didn't use them.