Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Keeping door latches from freezing

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:57:22 -0800 (PST), rlz wrote:

BIC is a manufacturer of a cigarette lighter. The suggestions was to
use a BIC to heat up the key, so that when inserted into the lock, the
heat would transfer to the lock causing it to thaw out. If you don't
have a cigarette lighter, you can also use a propane torch, a welding
torch or any other device that produces a controlable flame.

Ok, I knew about those lighters, but thought the guy was referring to
some spray or something like a lubricant. In my case, there is no key.
Just the push buttons on the truck door, nad slide bolt on the shed and
house screen door. Another thing to mention is that most of the time
when these things freeze, it's during severe weather, which means wind.
Goodluck trying to use a cig lighter in wind. A propane torch would
work better, but I'd not want to use that on the slide bolt which is
screwed to flammable wood. Even if the wood is not set on fire, the
paint will be ruined, and minutes later the latch will be frozen again.

Since I open my toolshed often in winter, and that slide bolt keeps
freezing, I'll just have to find some other way to latch the door. Till
then, I keep and old hammer next to the door (outside) to pound it loose
when it freezes. That's a pain in the ass to do when it's freezing
cold.