Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Sony CDP-C335 carousel doesn't align with clamping assembly.

wrote:
This problem is usually 1 of 2 things.

1) The gears are outof timing by 1 tooth.
2) The green flat cable that goes fro the deck to the board is
defective. This won't be visible as the connections are
intermittant. Replace the cable first. This may resolve the
problem.

Dan

Hi Dan,

The position of the carousel is controlled by the photo transistors. When
the slits underneath the carousel line up in whatever formation the uP is
looking for, the carousel motor stops turning. When the unit is powered up
from an unplugged condition, the carousel spins and orients itself so that
disk 1 is facing the user. In that respect, it doesn't matter what position
the carousel is in when the unit is powered up, it can figure out where each
disk is and how far to spin the carousel. I don't understand how a defective
cable could cause the carousel to be misaligned by a couple of millimeters.
Don't you think it would totally lose track of its position if the cable
were bad?

So taking that all into consideration, I took some needle nose pliers and
slightly tweaked the metal pin that was misaligned with the hole in the
carousel. Now it fits just fine when the cam elevates the play mechanism
into position.

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber