Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Countersink depth control on CNC

On 2012-11-13, DanG wrote:
On 10/24/2012 5:50 PM, wrote:
I am looking at making many 1.5" holes with a countersink 1/2" deep in
large steel plate. The depth tolerance of the countersink is
critical. The plate varies in thickness and can be slightly bowed.
How do I control the depth of the countersink on a CNC machine? I
can't just go to the same Z position every time. The plate is too big
to probe every location and correct for depth, or at least I don't
want to take the time to do it. I found a spring loaded tool on the
web but it is too small.

Any ideas or tools I don't know about????

Thanks in advance. Any constructive replies are appreciated.

I assume you know about these type countersinks:

http://www.2linc.com/countersink_depth_stop.htm

One brand is Severance and are called Micro-stop countersinks.

It would work with springy workpieces which need to be clamped
down to a stable level support (the "slightly bowed" ones), but not for
variations in thickness -- unless the CNC machine is also fitted with a
spring-loaded shank. I've got a couple of the Severance ones in
drill-press size, and like them for constant depth, but I don't think
that they would work well in what is described as the problem.

Hmm ... maybe this has the spring give in the shank, and thus
might well do the job. Those springs look serious.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564