Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Default Keeping door latches from freezing

On Nov 13, 7:44*am, willshak wrote:
wrote the following on 11/13/2012 2:26 AM (ET):

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 04:27:03 +0000 (UTC), gregz

Have you ever found some sort of spray or grease that will keep stuff
from freezing? *We got rain yesterday, and a deep freeze right
afterwards. *Last night both push button door handles on my F-150 truck
were frozen. *The push botton door latch on the house storm door and a
slide bolt on my toolshed door was also frozen.

Anyhow, have any of you ever found anything that will keep stuff like
that from freezing? *I was wondering about silicone spray? *Maybe
vaseline on the slide bolt, but that wont work on the truck? *Any other
ideas?
WD -40

Bic

Spray antifreeze, don't get on paint, I think.

My one boss used to free the lock mechanism with bic.

I use silicone on the rubber window runners.

Greg

WD-40 will evaporate real fast. *I dont see that working for any length
of time.

What is BIC?

Cigarette lighter?

I've used silicone spray on the rubber gaskets around a car door. *It
does help to keep the door from freeing to the gasket. *I have not found
anything to work on the metal door buttons or latches yet. *I plan to
get another can of silicone and try it as soon as I buy one, unless
someone on here has a better solution.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

BIC is a manufacturer of a cigarette lighter. The suggestions was to
use a BIC to heat up the key, so that when inserted into the lock, the
heat would transfer to the lock causing it to thaw out. If you don't
have a cigarette lighter, you can also use a propane torch, a welding
torch or any other device that produces a controlable flame.