Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Splash Shield - Enclosure

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:

How are you managing coolant spray on your CNC knee mill?

Here's one of my shield setups :
http://pico-systems.com/shield.html

That gives me some ideas. One thing I was thinking of is maybe some small
shields on slide lock rods that are mounted on the head. This should knock
down the most energetic spray at the source, and then do a box around the
table for any excess spray. Sometimes seeing other people's solutions is
just what you need to get your mind going in other directions.

But, if the part is much larger than the table, you may have to
enclose the whole machine, not just an area on top of the table.

I have been thinking about that as a possibility. To do a really good job
would be a bit involved. Not the biggest box I have ever seen, but a pretty
large box would be needed. I might have to either remove my electronics
from the machine, or be a little more proactive about air conditioning them.
The box itself would be interesting enough. Perhaps front and side
removable shower doors, but then seal the floor and cut a sump through the
concrete.

But, this setup I made can handle larger parts if they are spaced
above the table, because the front and back tilt outward from the
Tee slots. The sides could be made to do the same if you need
that.

Thanks Jon. I was leaning towards an aluminum frame that sets in but
extends out from the table on the front and sides with slide in plexi
panels. Might even give vacuum forming a shot to put an inward angled spray
lip on the plexi glass. Either that or just call Ace Acrylics and let them
do it. LOL. Pair that with moveable spray shields up close and it might be
ok.