Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default buy to let: tax implications?

On 13/11/2012 09:21, Stephen wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:42:19 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

I notice you've also posted this to uk.legal.moderated, if the first
time you cross-posted it to both, rather than muli-posting, that will
explain why it appeared in neither group, the moderators get first dibs
on the message and they refuse cross-posts.

Thank you. That's very interesting.

I did cross post to both groups. I thought the solicitors in the legal
group and the landlords in the diy group could give me the theory and
the practice.

I did wonder whether cross posting may have been the issue, which is
why I reposted as separate messages. I am surprised that the OP did
not get posted to uk.diy. If moderators blocked it to ulm that's their
right but I am surprised that they could prevent it being posted to
uk.diy. It doesn't seem right that the moderators of one group can
block posts to a completely different group.

I must learn more about moderated groups (where can I?). Thinking
about this: where to messages go to be read by moderators: is there
another group that only they have access to? How do you become a
moderator? Do you only need one moderator to approve a post or do you
need a majority vote?

If the cross post had been allowed, news clients would have filtered
my post so that you only saw it once. Because I have had to submit two
separate posts, it now appears twice, so it seems to me that blocking
cross posts might be causing the very problems that they are trying to
solve. I've learnt a lot from various threads in uk.diy that have come
here after being cross posted to or from another group.

Just my random thoughts!

Thanks,
Stephen.

Not all news reading processes ensure that you see only one response.

Sensible cross-posting can be very useful. But excessive, poorly
targeted, spammy cross-posting has severely affected its acceptability.

And, when moderating comes to town, then cross-posting can be
problematic - with both timing (due to moderating delays) and absence
(due to posts being moderated out and individuals responding on one
group only) making threads appear haphazard and incoherent. Even more so
than many already do! :-)

--
Rod