Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default Tektronix FG507

"mike" wrote in message ...

On 11/11/2012 1:31 PM, Charles wrote:

Thanks mike. I always had a power light. The FG is still running (I will
not turn it off until later) as my project is not over and I don't want
to risk that it won't start again.

My guess is that the mainframe is OK as my other plug-ins all work fine.

The FG is repairable but difficult if there is no extender card available!

I jumped to the "dead" conclusion.
You're likely right about the mainframe if you switched holes.
But don't generalize that to any failure modes. There are hole
specific functions that can cause problems.

You still need all the supplies working, so check that.
What were the exact symptoms of "not working"?
What was the output voltage? did it vary with offset/amplitude
settings? Did it vary with the frequency dial setting?
waveform settings changes?
See any output glitches when you changed frequency ranges?
What did the sweep settings do? It's possible for a failed
sweep to cut off the current to the ramp.
If there's a sweep output or a trigger output, see if anything
comes out there.

It's basically a pair of current sources charging a cap.
The triangle is the basic waveform function.
It gets "rounded off" for sine wave. Square comes out
of the peak comparator. Make the triangle work first.

It's a two-wide plugin. If it has two connectors out the back,
your extender problems multiply. Depending on the internal
connections between boards, you may need extenders there too.

Assume if you had a service manual, you'd have said so?
Try to find it.

For now, I am going to rule out the mainframe as all the other plug-ins are
working normally (PS501-1, PS502-2, SG503).

With no extender board, I don't think a service manual will help much.

Thanks again.