Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default Changing a lamp safely

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:48:01 -0000, Phil L wrote:

Mrs Beattie wrote:
I was going to change a blown lightbulb in my living room, but after
reading the instructions on the fitting it says I must be a qualified
electrician.

Must I call in an electrician? It's quite dark in here now with only
my reading lamp. It makes knitting quite difficult.

If I can do it myself, how do I choose the right bulb? Is it illegal
to fit the old filament ones now? Do I have to get one of them LED
things to stop global warfare?

What about ladders? I was just going to stand on a small chair, but
apparently that isn't safe. I don't really want to buy a stepladder
(do I need to go on a course to use one?) just for one bulb, but it
might be cheaper than an electrician, unless he's good looking of
course, maybe I can answer the door with not much on and get a
discount.

Stand in a bucket of cold water and make sure your hands are wet, make sure
the switch is in the 'on' position and carefully smash the bulb with a steel
rod without the use of goggles.
You won't need the replacement.

The bucket of cold water won't help unless she routes it to earth somehow. If you use one of those earthing antistatic straps, be sure to remove the safety resistor.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - Frank Zappa