Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Tektronix FG507

On 11/9/2012 4:44 PM, wrote:
Do I have to actually fix that particular model to have enough experience to know that tings that have trouble starting up usually have bad caps ?

My pet internet peeve is people who state with certainty and authority,
things they know nothing about.

I stopped short of criticism and asked about your credentials.
It appears that you have none in this area.

If you looked at a pile of dead LCD monitors, it's likely that a
many of them would have bad caps.
If you looked at a pile of dead TM500 stuff from the FG507 era,
it's likely that ZERO of them died from bad caps.

As I stated, that model post-dated my tenure in TM500 design,
but not by much.
I can almost guarantee you that the FG507 won't stop working
intermittently because of "bad caps".
The symptom of bad caps will be hum on the output and FMing.

Are we having fun yet?