Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What to look for and what to avoid in a hobby lathe or millingmachine

Fiberglass is nasty stuff. It can bind gears or grind stuff to pieces.

Kinda like grinding. Protect yourself and the lathe / mill from grit.
Glass grit.

Maybe a small watch lathe would do what you want.

Martin

On 11/9/2012 8:15 AM, Mike B wrote:
It's been 30 years since I last used a lathe or milling machine.
I now need something that can do small scale machining (2 to 40 mm) of
fibreglass/epoxy and the occasional bit of stainless steel.
Slow cutting is OK as it's just a hobby thing. 0.1mm precision is probably good
enough.
I looked at some of the videos on youtube and some people made negative comments
about plastic gears and so on.
What other things should I watch for?

Mike