Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default 30 days At The Pump

Dave Balderstone wrote in
news:091120121820024735%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca:

In article , Han
wrote:

Aren't a good proportion of the homes in LA simple 1 or 2-story
dwellings? Then applying PV shingles or panel collectors could take
a lot of that at least there. And the sunnier areas of CA could
supply the rainier ones. But I have NOT done the math. And indeed
night time is a bummer for PV.

A major problem with solar is that it is not viable without serious
subsidy from the taxpayer. A quick bit of searching will reveal many
cases of solar farms laying idle, or providing a small percentage of
the power promised.

Google itself has had/is having BIG problems with its solar arrays, as
are many countries in the EU, and in the USA solar companies are
shutting their doors or moving as soon as the subsidies dry up.

Solar is good for lots of things... generating electricity,
unfortunately, doesn't seem to be one of them. The panels are too
expensive, and require lots of maintenance while underperforming for a
variety of technical problems.

I /knew/ PSEG could have done better things than buying and installing
all those solar panels on our utility poles.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/c7zrg2r
Upgrading NJ's infrastructure probably would have been more efficient and
useful, even if it was just tree trimming.

--
Best regards
Han