Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Countertop ideas for a workbench?

On Oct 31, 7:37*am, SMS wrote:
I tore out the workbench that was in the garage when we bought the house
(too high, too short) and am building a 3' x 10' bench, and it's almost
done, except for the top.

I need to choose a top. I'm thinking of two 36" x 80" solid core doors
cut to 36" x 60" each. These are a big expensive at $65 each, but I
think plywood is too thin, and AB plywood isn't that much less than the
doors.

Any other ideas?

from experience:

1. make surface light colored and place diffuse lighting in a non-
reflective position.
2. make surface robust, oil resistant, won't dent or scratch with over
40 awkward pounds set on it, and yet smooth for finding small parts
3. support, support, support in a manner that still allows you to get
your knees under the top - anywhere. [you have no idea how irritating
slight flexing can be.]
4. make kitchen counter height, but slightly higher to adjust to
yourself. Too high and uncomfortable angle to work, too low and you're
bent over all day [get roll around bar stools that quit moving when
you apply sitting pressure and allow you to 'lean' against [slightly
sitting on them] for support. That way, you can walk off, get
whatever, come back, [roll around so you can move chair to different
position - your hands may be holding something and you need to move
that chair] and continue working with little effort. You have NO idea
how tiring getting up and down from a work station can get.
5. be prepared to accept damage to your beautiful work bench. It will
happen.Like the first dent in a new car.