Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default What to look for and what to avoid in a hobby lathe or milling machine

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 22:15:58 +0800, Mike B someone@noplace wrote:

It's been 30 years since I last used a lathe or milling machine.
I now need something that can do small scale machining (2 to 40 mm) of
fibreglass/epoxy and the occasional bit of stainless steel.
Slow cutting is OK as it's just a hobby thing. 0.1mm precision is probably good
enough.
I looked at some of the videos on youtube and some people made negative comments
about plastic gears and so on.
What other things should I watch for?

Mike

Question #1
How much can you afford to spend?

Question #2
How much room do you have?

Question #3
How often will you be needing to machine?

Answer those..and we can begin to assist you.

Gunner

--
""The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have
to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That’s why I

Eighty percent of the people who call themselves Democrats don’t have
a clue as to political reality.
What amazes me is that you could take a group of people who are hard
workers and convince them that they should support social programs
that were the exact opposite of their own personal convictions. Put a
little fear here and there and you can get people to vote any way you
want.

The voter is basically dumb and lazy. The reason I became a Democratic
operative instead of a Republican was because there were more
Democrats that didn’t have a clue than there were Republicans."
James Carvell, DNC operative