Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

En el artículo , polygonum
escribió:

I can't help thinking that it would make sense for manufacturers to
include "use a 3A plug fuse" on the rating plate.

I do see that sometimes, perhaps not on rating plates but in the user
manual that comes with the appliance.

It normally follows the plug wiring instructions and is worded something
along the lines of, "this appliance is supplied pre-fitted with a plug.
If it is necessary to fit your own plug, the brown wire must be
connected to the terminal coloured brown or marked L, the blue wire must
be connected to the terminal coloured blue or marked N, and the fuse
fitted must be rated at xA."

Because appliance flexes are so stupidly short nowadays and the 13A fuse
is universal (hello Mr Dyson, are you listening?), if I find myself
rewiring an appliance with a longer flex (hello Mr Dyson, I don't live
in a ****ing rabbit hutch) I fit a lower-rated fuse in the plug to allow
for the increased wire resistance and therefore lower fault current to
ensure the fuse does blow under fault conditions.

But of course, elfin safety means we have to cater for the lowest common
denominator, so it's 6" flexes and 13A fuses all round.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)