Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

On 09/11/2012 13:57, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave writes

True but how do you calculate the minimum fuse necessary, it's not always that
easy.

Yes it is, you look at the appliance rating plate and if it's in watts
not amps, apply Ohm's law.

I can't help thinking that it would make sense for manufacturers to
include "use a 3A plug fuse" on the rating plate. We see so many
meaningless[1] symbols identifying all the standards it claims to follow
- why not a piece of potentially useful information?

[1] I know they are not all actually meaningless, but to a large
proportion of end users of a lot of appliances, they might as well not
be there.

--
Rod