Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, November 9, 2012 1:58:11 PM UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article ,

whisky-dave writes

True but how do you calculate the minimum fuse necessary, it's not
always that

easy.

Yes it is, you look at the appliance rating plate and if it's in watts

not amps, apply Ohm's law.

So what fuse do you put in a fan that's rated at 50W a 3 amp ? As that's
what's in the fan we brought and it has been PAT tested and passed.

for me 50/230 is NOT 3 So are you saying I should put in a ~250ma fuse
instead ? As that's how I'd calculate it, but I'd put a 3 amp fuse in the
plug as that's what the manufactuer did.

You forgot the switch on surge. the 50w is the running power

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18