Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Lessons from Sandy

wrote in
:

On 08 Nov 2012 12:16:00 GMT, Han wrote:

wrote in
m:

On 08 Nov 2012 01:02:16 GMT, Han wrote:

wrote in
m:

On 06 Nov 2012 11:08:58 GMT, Han wrote:

PSEG did a bit of tree trimming after Irene and the freak
snowstorm, but you can't trim against some things, such as 3 ft
diameter oaks toppling over.

That is when you have to decide whether you want the tree or what
it will fall on

I don't know whether apparently healthy trees are in reality sick,
or weakened from the droughts and really wet periods that have
alternated here in the last few years. So this oak, laying on the
ground didn't look sick to me, but the root system looked rather
small. Some people have said that when a tree is healthy and in
full leaf, you shouldn't really be able to see sky from below it.
The tree between my home and the street (with branches overhanging
the wiring) looks like it has half the leaves it should have to me,
but the expensive tree guy said it was probably OK, since it has
been there with 1/3 to 1/2 its root system under concrete and
asphalt since 1929. Oops that looks really old for a pin oak ...

FPL would never let a tree grow over a power line. They can't even
be close

Around here people really love the trees. Until they don't anymore.
Then, there are regulations that would prevent one from removing a
tree, such as the need to get a town permit to do so. In addition, it
costs a ****load of money to get a tree cut down and hauled away.

We removed the 120+ foot tall oak from beside my little brothers
house at Wasauga Beach a few years ago for the grand sum of $6 worth
of gas for the chainsaw. 4 brothers and father put in about 5 hours of
hard work - and between a few brothers and neighbours the vast
majority of the wood dissapeared virtually overnight - at no cost at
all.

Add about $100 to repair roof where a small branch hit and punched a
hole - but it needed a roof anyway.

I'm not that limber anymore. Did those things 30 years ago, including a
big old cherry tree, the kind you hang a swing from. Remember standing on
the corner of the roof to cut down a fairly young pine. I could easily
reach the trunk standing there on the roof.

Now I don't do this anymore, and my offspring is great, but not like that

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid