Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Lessons from Sandy

wrote in
:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:59:29 -0500,
wrote:

On 08 Nov 2012 18:22:42 GMT, Han wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
:

In article ,
wrote:

On 08 Nov 2012 12:16:00 GMT, Han wrote:

Around here people really love the trees. Until they don't
anymore.
Then, there are regulations that would prevent one from removing
tree, such as the need to get a town permit to do so. In
addition, it costs a ****load of money to get a tree cut down and
hauled away.

I suppose the question is how much does it cost to remove that
same tree from your living room.
How many people will be impacted by that tree taking out the
primary that supplies 4 or 5 blocks?
Once you experience those things a few times you get a better
perspective about trees.

Sure, you end up with the Long Island perspective: Nature is in the
way. Dynamite it, bulldoze it, and pave it over. It's just too bad
we haven't found a way to drain those pesky oceans.

I suppose you could live in a house made of 1/2" steel plate and no
windows if you're unwilling to live with both the risks and rewards
of the natural world.

I'd not choose to live without trees outside the window, and I'd
not go sniveling if that choice bit me in the ass someday. YMMV.

"You may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse
than dying." (Open Range)

While Congress still has to relearn it, life is a succession of
compromises. For the moment I am unwilling to remove that tree
precisely because I like the shade. But if I get any inkling that it
is weakened or sick, it'll go fast.

I have a tree like that too, my "shade tree" over the driveway. I
always wanted one for working on my car. If it fell it would only hit
the garage but I still keep the big limbs trimmed back

Thankfully all of my services are underground

Yeah, I wish that were the case here ... I have no idea what it would
cost. Some of the soil here is very thin, with rock (and underground
water!) very near the surface. Many homes need sump pumps (mine
doesn't). With the 80 year-old sewers, gas- and water-lines in place,
getting electric underground would probably be a rather big job.

--
Best regards
Han