Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

On Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:57:26 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/11/2012 13:53, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , John
Rumm writes

http://s833.beta.photobucket.com/use...erfeitFuse.mp4.
html

"We're sorry, we cannot find the page you requested."

http://www.bs1363.org.uk/counterfeit_fuse.mpeg

wow. Must have filled it with gunpowder rather than sand.

Na, just air...
Shows you want a fault current (wiring regs meaning) can do!

I'm not convinced. In decades past I've seen loads of fuses repaired with bits of fusewire, or worse just a thin strand of copper wire. The failure of such fuses was entirely tame, the downside was just black deposits inside the plug, requiring a new plug. I've seen plenty of glass fuses fail on mains too, and again nothing dramatic.

How could they create that clip? I suspect by bypassing the protection of both incomer fuse and CU entirely, and picking an unusually meaty (non)fuse, and passing the full 6kA through it, perhaps at above mains voltage too. It sure looks like bs to me, but not 1362.

NT