Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electric Jack Hammer

40 is machine weight not auto weight. Lots of different.

I use 10, 30, 60, and heavy weight. None are anything like auto weights.

Auto normally has chemicals that keeps gunk floating to be filtered out.
Machines want it in the oil dump settle out.

#40 is semi thick.

An oil company will gladly sell you a gallon or maybe a quart.

I have 10 in a gallon and heavy weight there - 5 gallons of 30 and 60.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rote...ient=firefox-a

You can buy it directly as Shell oil or cross reference it at an oil
company that is a wholesale type - bulk supplier...

Martin

On 11/8/2012 5:51 PM, Pilgrim wrote:
Bought an el cheapo import 60#. The manual, such as it is, say to use
Shell ROTELLA #40 [engine oil can also be used]. The oil supplied looked
much heavier than 40 weight, more like the old 90 wt. we used to use in
trans and diffs. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

CP