Posted to alt.home.repair
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

Default (OT) Did Mitt lose because he's a Mormon?

wrote

Unfortunately for the republicans, we have a lot of working poor and
unemployed voters.

The Republicans preach that anybody -- ANYBODY can become rich if they only
try hard enough. Ever try to sell Amway products? They preach wealth all
the time, but name me even ONE Amway salesperson you personally know who has
made a million dollars. Or even half a million.

Bill Gates has long said that he became rich through luck of the draw, being
born into a wealthy family, having the benefit of the good infrastructure of
Seattle (good schools, etc), etc. This is why he feels that the wealthy OWE
it to society to give back all they can. He recommends the rich give back
at least 50% of their wealth in charitable contributions to society. He and
his dad wrote a book about it a good 15 years ago...