Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

In article , Frank Erskine
writes

I don't know whether or not "intermediate" BS1362 fuses such as 5A or
7A are still available.

Pretty sure 5A is still commonly available.

The RS catalogue does BS1362 fuses in 1A, 2A, 3A, 5A, 7A, 10A and 13A.

In fact, was there not also a 1A BS1362 fuse, used for clock plugs,
but not shaver adaptors (or was it the other way round?)?

In clock plugs, yes, 1A fuses are (were) common. Clocks used to be
connected with what was essentially bell wire.

For myself, I fit 3, 5 or 13A depending on what is appropriate for the
load. 3A for things like lamps, 5A for stuff like PCs and TVs, 13A for
washing machine, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, etc.

I fitted a 1A fuse in the plug for something recently, buggered if I can
remember what it was though. Something like christmas tree lights IIRC.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)