Posted to alt.home.repair

Default internet controlled thermostat

On Nov 1, 11:06*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-01-2012 20:48, Paul Franklin wrote:

You ought to at least look at the Nest. *Wireless. *Learns your
schedule. *Can be adjusted over the net using your cell phone.

Buddy has one. *He is in sales and travels a lot and loves being able
to return to warm (or cool) house no matter what his schedule.

How long does it take to save $250 ?

If you followed the scenario, there are people who
go away for varying amounts of time. I for example,
go on ski trips, where I can be gone from a few days
to a week. Now to have the house at a reasonable
temp with a dumb thermostat, we'd have to leave it
at 65 for a week. With an internet capable one, we
could set it to 50, then change it to 65 two hours
before we return. I don't know exactly how long it
would take to recover $250, but clearly having a house
at 50F for a week when it's 20 outside is going to save
a decent amount compared to having it at 65F.
And then there is also the savings in resources, instead
of wasting energy.