Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Lessons from Sandy

wrote in
:

On 06 Nov 2012 11:08:58 GMT, Han wrote:

PSEG did a bit of tree trimming after Irene and the freak
snowstorm, but you can't trim against some things, such as 3 ft
diameter oaks toppling over.

That is when you have to decide whether you want the tree or what it
will fall on

I don't know whether apparently healthy trees are in reality sick, or
weakened from the droughts and really wet periods that have alternated
here in the last few years. So this oak, laying on the ground didn't
look sick to me, but the root system looked rather small. Some people
have said that when a tree is healthy and in full leaf, you shouldn't
really be able to see sky from below it. The tree between my home and
the street (with branches overhanging the wiring) looks like it has half
the leaves it should have to me, but the expensive tree guy said it was
probably OK, since it has been there with 1/3 to 1/2 its root system
under concrete and asphalt since 1929. Oops that looks really old for a
pin oak ...

--
Best regards
Han