Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Crossley Martin Crossley is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

polygonum wrote:
On 07/11/2012 23:55, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:47:55 PM UTC, polygonum wrote:
On 07/11/2012 20:33,
wrote:
On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:40:34 PM UTC, David Robinson
wrote:

Not my question, or belief, but found here...
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1755197 Is
there a counter-argument? Thanks, David.

All modern appliances and leads are required to be safe with a
13A fuse. However the reality is that fires do happen, and there
are at least some faults where a 3A would blow before a 13A, so
maybe preventing a small percentage of fires.

Old appliances are another matter, and many are not properly
protected by a 13A fuse.

So its better to keep using 3A where suitable.

Please can you provide a reference to when that changed? And,
ideally, what the requirements actually are - in an accessible
form.

Unfortuately no, I've not kept any notes of those points. One thing
it has changed is the minimum permissible conductor cross section in
appliance leads, if you look at appliances from the 50s and 60s, some
shavers & clocks etc have very thin conductors. Now all new flexes
need to be able to survive the i squared t of a 13A fuse blow.

NT

Heigh-ho. Anyone else know?

It was around the time the voltages were harmonised at 230V, flexes were
marked HAR and CE marking came in.
1995?